Saturday, May 5, 2012

JUST FINISH...

Today for some, is just another ordinary Saturday. Rest from the work week. Parties, shopping, and chores to complete. But for me, today was an important day for me. I participated in my very first 5K race. 

Some may say, "Brodes, it's just a race." But for me it was more than that. I've blogged earlier about my weight loss journey and have been pretty transparent about the challenges, both the good and the bad. I've decided to take this seriously, my health that is. And I'm grateful for all of the support, encouragement, advice, or just listening ear (and eyes) of those who have been my community of accountability partners throughout all of this. 

When I decided to participate in a 5K, I really was hoping that I didn't "bite off more than I could chew." It was a decision I made, but I also had a bit of nervousness along with it. Will I come in last place? What if people laugh at me? How will I compete with those who have been running longer, faster, and harder than I have? Then I concluded that at the end of the day all I wanted to do was just finish. It didn't matter what place I came in, what others were doing, nor how much more they trained. Just finish. 

I had been nervous all week leading up to the race, for obvious reasons, and I tried to remind myself, "just finish." I even gave myself a personal goal of 37'30" but I kept telling myself, "just finish." This morning came and as I drove to the race, all I could think about was "just finish."

Over 1300 walkers/joggers/runners there just like me, and immediately I thought, "just finish." You see, what I'm discovering about running, just like in life, what matters most is that you finish what you start. That's what makes you a winner. We each have our own race, and your race isn't mine, and mine isn't yours. Arthur Blank, Co-Founder of Home Depot says, "I run because it's so symbolic of life. You have to drive yourself to overcome the obstacles. You might feel that you can't. But then you find your inner strength, and realize you're capable of so much more than you thought."

I never thought I'd see 220 lbs again (Seeing 200 lbs again is my ultimate goal). I never thought I'd run in a 5K race. But I did it. I had to drive myself to overcome it, but I finished. Here are my stats:

The Player's 5K With Donna - 5/5/12
TPC Sawgrass
Ponte Vedra, Florida

Bib: #748
Overall Place: 234 (Out of 1,288 finishers)
Age Division Place (25-29): 40 (Out of 54)
Gun Time: 35:51
Chip Time: 34:58
Pace: 11:15

If I could offer any advice from my experience today, JUST FINISH! Whatever it is, drive yourself to overcome, and you'll see how rewarding it is just to know you've finished!



1 comment:

Sheila Emanuel said...

Thanks for such an inspirational message. I too have found over the years that finishing can be so rewarding. Many times we allow the fear of "not knowing what the end will be" to stand in the way of moving forward to completing a desired outcome. Unfortunately too many unsuccessful people have fallen into this trap. I applaud you for your determination and for doing all that you can to stay healthy as you continue to trust God for the rest. Congratulations on your finish and on your placement! Pops and I are so very proud of you.