Thursday, April 12, 2012

An Open Letter About My Health...

I haven't written in quite some time on this blog. Something I'm not proud of as I told myself that I wanted to commit to become a better writer. To become a better writer, one must write! So, I will do better in that regard.

Over the past few months, I've been on a journey to improve my health. Some of you may know (and some may not know) that I have type 2 diabetes. I've had diabetes since November 2004. This disease is very prevalent on both sides of my family and even as a child, I was told, "It's not if you'll get it, but when it will catch up with you." This meant nothing to me, even when I was diagnosed since I felt I was young and this wasn't something that I should take seriously.

In addition to having diabetes, I am what my doctor calls, atypical. In short, this means I don't exhibit many of the signs that most diabetics have when they sugar levels are either too high or too low. This didn't help my attitude towards this silent, but potentially deadly disease.

To make a long story short, I've decided to take this thing head on. So I began a diet protocol that helped me lose 40+ pounds. My starting weight was 263 lbs, and I currently weigh 223 lbs. But more than that, my levels have been great, and I'm awaiting the results of my A1C test (the test that measures your sugar over a period of time). It was so encouraging from family and friend during this process. It wasn't easy, but I was motivated to make this goal a reality. I'm not where I want to be (205-210 lbs is MY goal), but I'm on my way.

While on the diet, I was restricted from any physical exercise. During that time, I begin to read and prayerfully consider what my next steps would to continue this journey of healthy living. After reading and looking at some friends who I admire, I decided that I wanted to take running up going forward. For me, one who's never played organized sports, nor considers himself athletically inclined, this would be a stretch. But one that I'm taken very seriously.

I started this week with walking/jogging and I can already see that I'm going to be addicted. Today, I visited a local runners sports shop (1st Place Sports - San Marco) with the goal of learning more about "Running 101" and a new pair of shoes to continue this journey of health/wellness. I'm grateful to Brian Doyle (San Marco's Manager) for taking the time to take an analysis of my feet, my walk, etc. and answer all of the questions I had about this lifestyle.

I also have begun to post my times on FB. Not for pride's sake, but as an added since of both accountability and encouragement. I know this isn't going to be an overnight process, but a lifestyle. I'm grateful for all of the support I've received thus far from many family and friends alike. I'm looking forward to my first 5k on June 9th, 2012 here in Jacksonville, Florida (www.neverquitnever.com). My life is important to me and I have much to live for. I'm learning that now. This is more than just about fitness, but it's about making a priority of my health.

See you on the pavement...

2 comments:

San said...

Awesome friend! Running is addictive! My husband thinks I'm a nut! But there is nothing like completing your first race! Running is just so spiritual and very parallel to the Christian Race! It doesn't matter if u win or lose, first or last, as long as you finish! My goal is to do a marathon by the time I'm 40! Well on my way! I've never had serious health issues but when I balloned to 226, I knew I had to do something. When u work in the health field and see the things I see, it definitely motivates u to do better. And you want to stay around for as long as u can for your lovely bride! The great thing about running is you can always set a higher goal, whether it is running a longer distance without stopping, or improving your time. If you can find a buddy or group to run with, or start one in your church, that will help keep u on track! All the best to you on your journey Rev!

San said...

Awesome friend! Running is addicting! My husband thinks I'm a nut! There is nothing like finishing your first race! Running is very spiritual for me and I think it is parallel to the Christian race. It doesn't matter if you are first or last, as long as you finish you always win! The great thing about running is that there is always a goal to be acheived, whether it is running or longer distance or better time. There is always something higher to reach for. The anticipation of a race is amazing. You will be so hyped on that day, you won't believe it! I suggest you find a buddy or group to run with or even start one in your church. I run with two groups, one from church and Black Girls Run. Also, I love the Runners world magazines. They have great tips on cross training, nutrition, and some motivating stories. I never had any serious health problems, but I balloned to 226 which is much to big for my 5'2 self, and I did something about it. Working in the health field, I see a lot of sad stories of people who have preventable health issues, so that is what motivated me. As you can see I'm already an addict and I've only been running since last July. Well, I wish u the best! You are off to great start!