Sunday, August 21, 2011

Lord, I'm available to you...

Sunday evening reflections. Grateful to God for so many reasons, but I'll share this weekend's events.

Yesterday, I facilitated a workshop entitled, "A Passion For Teaching." This workshop was inspired by Mr. Allan Taylor aka "Mr. Sunday School" Pastor of Christian Education of First Baptist Church Woodstock, in Woodstock, Ga. I have been a fan from afar of his work and ministry and thankful that earlier this year I was finally able to meet him in person and we've built a bond ever since. If you're serious about wanting to grow you Sunday School, Allan is the man!

I had much nervousness about this assignment because many and most of the Bible Study Fellowship (Sunday School) teachers are educators by profession. What could I teach teachers I thought? Over the past few weeks of preparation, I had decided that I would give it my best and leave everything up to God.

The response was overwhelming. There were 70+ teachers (current and prospective) in attendance. What they did not know was that for some strange reason, Friday night, I lost ALL of my notes, and spent the entire night and early morning re-writing my notes for this workshop. The only sleep I got was from my house to the church.

We had an amazing (but long) day. We covered topics such as: "A Pledge to Teach," "Perfecting the Teacher," "Philosophy of Teaching," & "Principles of Teaching." The attendees were very attentive and excited about the information and the direction Pastor Charles wants to see this vital ministry go as we use Bible Study Fellowship as the primary means disciple-making within our church. It was a great time of study, encouragement, and fellowship. I learned a lot, and my prayer is that each of those in attendance learned a lot as well.

After the session, got very encouraging comments, emails, phone calls about the workshop which was humbling in many regards. I'm still in awe of the fact that God chose me for this assignment. I thank Pastor Charles for giving me this opportunity to share with our teachers. 

I pray that all of our members will commit themselves to a BSF class starting this Fall as we grow people. Our goal as a church is to become "larger and smaller" at the same time and this will be accomplished through our small group life within the church. 

To God be the glory.

On another note: Great worship today. Pastor Charles began a 2-part series on "Symbols of Salvation." "What We Believe About Baptism" was the message for today. Next week, "What We Believe About the Lord's Supper." 

The choir took me back with "Lord, I'm available to you." I remember singing this song as a child. Those words resonated with me on today as I reflected on God's goodness in my life. I just want to be used by Him. For His glory only. 

May God continue to give us all a greater sense of purpose in pursuing a life that's pleasing to Him. 

Use me Lord...

No comments: