Monday, August 15, 2011

Pinch Hitter

Today I had the privilege of preaching to the Shiloh Church family as our Pastor was away preaching in England. I remember when he mentioned to me shortly after I began this new ministry assignment to mark August 14, 2011 down to preach. I told Pastor Charles on many occasions that I wasn't looking to preach at all, just consider me to "Bible Teacher in Residence." Being such an admirer of how Pastor Charles handles the Word of God I was more than content with being able to sit under his ministry in this new role for me.

He threw me a curve ball a few weeks ago and had me preach a Wednesday in the Word on 7/27, which I got him back in my introduction about him not being there. But I was grateful for opportunity to share the Word with Shiloh.

I had a very trying and eventful week and wasn't sure if I was able to stand to proclaim God's Word during today's worship services. I was committed to the task, and asked for the Lord's strength during both services.

We spoke from a familiar passage in Mark 2 with the story of the Paralytic and the 4 Friends. I was always reminded in preaching from familiar passages of Scripture to attempt to approach it from an unusual way. E.K. Bailey says "treat the Word of God like a diamond. In that are you turn it you're able to view more and more prisms shining through." I was encouraged in my preparation, and I pray that God was pleased during my proclamation. I appreciate all the kinds words, emails, texts, and calls I received after service. Very uplifting indeed. Shiloh truly is a church with an affinity for God's Word. What a blessing it was to share with them.

I'm learning more and more that Shiloh is a "small church in a big building." By that I mean that while there are a lot of members, they really do make you feel at home. Danielle and I have been recipients of great kindness and hospitality from day one with our new church family.

Some members from Philippi surprised me during the worship service today. Great to see all of them. I promptly sent them back to Philippi to catch the rest of the service being given by their new Pastor, Stavius Powell.

Praying for our Pastor's safe return home and thanking him for giving me a chance at "bat" today. I only "bunted" but God was at the plate with me and that's all that matters.

To God Be the Glory.

3 comments:

Dana Bageon said...

Wow! Powerful and inspiring...great job, Brodes!!!

For Me, It Works... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
For Me, It Works... said...

As it has often be said, you do your best and leave the rest in God's hands. Excellent message.